Events

BadmintonPhoto: Jan Ø. Jørgensen playing at Dubai Superseries Finals 2016
Jan Ø. Jørgensen withdraws from #EC17
Date: 3/28/2017 3:17 PM
Published by : Emma Lollike
The Danish men’s singles profile is unfortunately forced to withdraw from the European Championships (#EC17) in Kolding due to a heel spur in the right heel.

The silver medalist from the European Championships last year, Jan Ø. Jørgensen, will unfortunately not recover in time for the European Championships on home soil in Kolding. The second world ranked suffers from a heel spur in the right heel which also means that he has withdrawn from India, Singapore and Malaysia Open. 

The fact that he is not expected to be competing on court the next two months annoys the singles player;

” I really wanted to play these tournaments and the Europeans on home soil, but it is just not tenable situation. It is a difficult decision but also a necessary one. I don’t want to be in the condition where I can only reach second rounds or quarter-finals - that is not why I am playing” says Jan Ø. Jørgensen.

Lately, the 29-year-old Jørgensen has been playing on pain killers but it has not been tenable since heel spurs needs rest.

” I am hoping that I can get rid of it within the next couple of months so I can be ready for Sudirman Cup. It is one of my top goals, and my hope is to be able to go to Indonesia and Australia, as well.  However, it is not life and death for me to be ready. It will be when I am truly ready. “, says Jan Ø. Jørgensen.

The withdrawal from Jan Ø Jørgensen gives Badminton Denmark the opportunity to select another men’s singles player, and the choice has fallen on Emil Holst (WR 38).

” I am so excited to play at the European Championships. It is one of the biggest tournaments for me right now. It is of great importance to Badminton Denmark and Team Denmark to win medals, and of course I want to contribute to that”, says Emil Holst. 

” If I can avoid facing Viktor Axelsen in a quarter-final, I would like to reach for a semi-final. But for that to happen I would need to be playing well. So, it’s all about reaching the quarter-final and fight my way to medals from there, but I am humble to the task.”, he elaborates. 

The Danish head coach, Kenneth Jonassen, also believes in the 26-year-old’s chances at the European Championships:

” This is a big opportunity for Emil to deliver on home soil. He has shown his potential over a longer period of time, especially within the last three weeks by defeating Lin Dan and Wing Ki Wong. Emil has the ability to beat the best and he is among the best men’s singles in Denmark, so we are hoping that he can prove his worth on the home soil in Kolding.”

” It will not change our overall objective for medals. It is evident that we might see an affect since Jan has won a silver and a gold at the two previous championships. It has been a very tough decision to pull Jan, but in this case also the right one.", Kenneth Jonassen says.

The seedings for #EC17 in Kolding will be published Friday 7 April.

Badminton Europe and the organizers from Badminton Denmark are very excited to welcome you for #EC17 in Kolding from 25-30 April.

©badmintoneurope.com. All rights reserved.

Related news
21/11/2017
Seeds shine on day 1 in Prague
The 2017 European U17 team com...

20/11/2017
Warner: Our team has the ability to break their streak
The best U17 players in Europe...

07/11/2017
Polish top seeds hoped for a better draw
In men’s doubles, the Polish t...

06/11/2017
Young Popov earned two seedings
Badminton Europe could this mo...

25/10/2017
296 players to compete at the U17 championships
The entry deadline for the ind...

12/09/2017
Big nations clash in Group 5
Today, the draw for the 2017 E...

More news